Introduction of the Organization
Gonoshasthaya Kendra is a registered Public Charitable Trust. Established in 1972, it is one of the oldest non-governmental, non-profit, and national level organizations in Bangladesh.
GK is a people-oriented healthcare-based organization that provides community and institutional services in the fields of healthcare, nutrition, water & sanitation, disaster management, women’s empowerment, education, agriculture, emergency relief, and basic rights-based advocacy. Over the past five decades, GK expanded its services to cover approximately 1.5 million people in 541 villages throughout 56 Unions in 32 Upazilas in 20 Districts across the country. GK serves mostly vulnerable and low-income groups through its 43 rural sub-centers and six academic hospitals.
Programmatic interventions in response to COVID-19
During any kind of national and international disaster, GK tries to respond as early as possible through rescue, medical services, reconstruction of damaged houses, and food distribution, including safe drinking water.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, GK has activated an emergency plan to combat COVID-19 titled, “Gonoshasthaya Kendra’s Emergency Response to Combat COVID-19.” Through this initiative, GK is working 24/7 in various fields.
COVID-19 Response Supports
- Rapid Test Kit development to detect Coronavirus (Waiting for GoB approval)
- Emergency food assistance program for the vulnerable families
- Social awareness raising via distribution of COVID-19 related flyers and leaflets
- Designated Flu Corner at various GK hospital
- Corona Call Center
- Call Center for Physiotherapy patient
- Emergency blood management service
- Establishment of hospital and community-based handwashing corners
- Provide protective gears for different GoB facilities and GK health care centers
- 15-bedded COVID-19 dedicated ICU facility at Gonoshasthaya Nagar Hospital, Dhanmondi (Under construction)
See more of GK’s work in COVID-19 Response
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gksavar
Message from GK CEO
A letter from GK CEO