Introduction of the organisation:
Unnayan Sangha (US) is a non-government, non-profitable and non-political organization established in 1980 with a view to help poor people. US has 2 different committees like- General Committee and Executive Committee. It has been working within the 77 Upazilas in 10 districts under Dhaka, Mymensingh, Rajshahi and Rangpur divisions. The Vision of the organization is “A society, based on equality, fairness and good governance, which can ensure sustainable development and people’s empowerment” and the mission is “To organize more exploited people for their socio-economic development through implementing different development activities”. Unnayan Sangha works in two different approaches – group based development and community based development. Presently it has 26 project offices and 1026 regular staff and volunteers are working with the organization. US has an effective and good relationship with local administration, line departments, local government and NGOs. The annual budget of US is about BDT- 210 million.
Programmatic interventions in response to COVID-19
- US has organized with the support of UNICEF Bangladesh on awareness raising about hand washing and social distance maintaining activity through miking at community level on COVID-19 cooperation of local government department health and family planning department. We have completed mikining at 68 unions out of 68 union of Jamalpur district. Nearly 20 00,000 people covered under this activity.
- US arranged 3672 demonstration on hand washing at ward level with the participation of LGI and health and family planning officials at community level . In the session CHVs are demonstrated how to use soap and what time hand washing need for them and its benefits. Total 55680 people were present in these sessions especially pregnant and adolescents group of the community.
The project taken measure on personnel s safety for its staff and Community Volunteers through provide mask and gloves. Total 658 personnel received safety materials (each person received 5 masks and a pair of gloves)
- US distributed 12000 soaps for poor pregnant and lactating mother in Jamalpur district. During the distribution local govt. representatives, health and family planning officials and social elites were present as guest to open the distribution activities
- Unnayan Sangha raised awareness on food ,nutrition seeds and care of cultivation through mobile messageing with the pregnant, lactating and farmers
- Unnayan distributed food , non food and health hygiene metarials among 105000 poor households
Future outlook and recommendations:
- People are more aware about COVID-19 and maintaining personal hygiene
- Awareness sessions at school level on COVID-19 should be continued
- Mask distribution at community level should be continued
- Safetynet program under the government should Increse
- Employment oppotunity should be created
- Coordination and collaboration should be strengthened
- Engagement of the NGOs in response and related works should be ensured
Website link of your organisation’s COVID-19 response: