Being encouraged by the two core features of The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) i.e. transformative and inclusive and remaining committed to implementing 2030 Agenda, a group of individuals has taken an initiative to set up the Citizen’s Platform for SDGs, Bangladesh with the objective to contribute to the delivery of the SDGs and enhance accountability in its implementation process.
The Platform will provide an opportunity to track the progress of SDG delivery; sensitize policymakers towards challenges in implementation; bring transparency in the implementation process; and, facilitate exchange of information and coordination among all those working on the SDGs in Bangladesh. The Platform will also facilitate relevant stakeholders to work for the poor and marginalized e.g. ethnic groups, physically challenged etc., particularly for achieving SDG 16.
Promoting volunteerism and civic society is one of the major component of Citizen’s Platform for SDGs, Bangladesh. Volunteerism can help to develop, mobilize and involve people in planning an implementation of SDGs throughout the country.
How volunteering contributes in development:
- Volunteering helps people to develop and or enhance ownership and awareness about different challenges, and encourage to take collective actions in many global issues
- Volunteering establishes trust among different groups to build and bridge a common platform
- Volunteering facilitates capacity building in different areas and increases knowledge and experience.
- Volunteering enhances leadership skills to bring a positive change for the society.
Guideline for Volunteers
- Support Platform Secretariat during events (in and out of Dhaka)
- Suggest participants or stakeholders to be included in the event Guest List by consulting proactively with the event Partner
- Assist in ensuring participation of youth and women groups at events that will be held outside Dhaka
- Suggest event branding themes
- Provide ideas to Platform Secretariat in creating a Branding image for Citizen’s Platform particularly to journalists/media agencies
- Help in digital communication during and after events take place (fb and twitter)
- Assist in Facebook boosting
- Create an event boost for Dialogues outside Dhaka
- Write blogs for the website
- Notify Platform Secretariat on Op-eds published by the Partner Organisations for uploading on Platform’s website
- Inform Secretariat if there are new information on SDGs in Partner’s website or online bulletins that can be fed into the Platform website
- Check if the web contents are regularly updated, particularly the tabs that would require update quarterly and inform the Secretariat
- Initiate preparing materials and designing those for external and donor communication
- Suggest ways to make the website interactive